Carefresh Bedding

Go down

default Carefresh Bedding

Post by Guest on December 15th 2007, 12:15 pm

Who has used this bedding?

I can't decide if I want to try it out or not.

My rodent breeding situation is not huge at the moment but I do plan to expand in the future.

I want to provide the rodents with a very good environment, and this has prompted me to look at other bedding options.

I am looking at litter training the rats as a way to reduce bedding costs overall, has anyone done this?

Is the carefresh bedding safe for the rats and for the end user reptiles that feed on them?

Do you use the same amount of carefresh as you would aspen and do you think it lasts as long smell and sanitation wise?

Thanks for your time and help,
Maurice

Back to top Go down

default Re: Carefresh Bedding

Post by Guest on December 16th 2007, 11:14 am

The stuff works wonders smell wise. So if your going to be keeping your rodents in the house it may be well worth the price, however if your keeping your animals somewhere outside of the home, i.e garage, barn ect. It may be hard to justify the price, when you can get a big ol' bag of aspen much cheaper.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on December 20th 2007, 2:00 am

I'm no where near a barn, as much as my wife and I would love to ditch the city for a house on a hunk of land we just aren't there quite yet. My little 1942 brick house is in a nice area of Southern Louisville. When we pay it off, we will move to someplace east of town, a bit of land, some water close by, be it a pond or stream we don't care, and lots of old trees.

All my rodents are in the basement, I change bedding every other day on all the rats to keep the smell to near zero. My bedding is nearly free, shredded newspaper. I do the shredding myself but you can get me a nice crosscutting shredder for Christmas if you like.

The paper works well for me and has yet to be an issue for the rats, or my nile monitor and ball python that eat them.

I do not breed rats by the zillions but I can see a point in the future where that might me the case.

My drive to find a better bedding is for the rodents best care and I'm not exactly looking forward to shredding a ton of paper every day.

The aspen stuff is fairly well priced but I'm not very fond of the smell issue and the whole ecofriendly treehugger stuff is in my mind someplace.

I can get the 60 litter bags for under $15.00 shipped, so I guess the price is not very bad if it works well.

The catch is that I'm not sure just how much of the stuff to use.

When I was using wood bedding I started with pine years ago, never had a problem, I switched to aspen still no problems just less money in my pockets, the switch to paper puts more money in my pockets but looks like junk and takes a lot of my time. I have always used about 2-3 inches of bedding is the carefresh going to need the same volume to do the same thing? Or can I use less because it works better? I think if I can smell the rats it must be bad for them.

So do you think I just need to get that shredder or is carefresh going to work for me, I will take gift cards to office depot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Melissa Cowles on December 20th 2007, 2:38 am

I have used it and really i could not justify the cost. For my gliders mabey cause they are in the house and u cant use wood shavings for them but for the rats jasons aspen is the best. It is very cheap and safe for reptiles to eat the rats. In my experiance they just shove all the bedding to one spot and pee in the other spot just to drive me nutts lol. as far as potty training u can try it has been done but i never had any luck.

Melissa Cowles

Back to top Go down

Post by Ralph on October 29th 2009, 10:48 pm

I have used the care fresh bedding in my rat tanks and yes it smells better, absorbs the pee great, but the poop not so good. I would put about 1-2 inches in a 10 gallon tank for 1:3 rats. They would play in it and push it all around. When I started to try and get into breeding more rats it was cost effective to go to Tractor Supply and buy bedding for less. Just my two cents.

Ralph
Ralph

Back to top Go down

Post by Icesha on November 16th 2009, 11:30 am

I LOVE CareFresh. The white kind, not the grey/brownish stuff. I keep upward of 30-40 rats at a time in 7 cages... and only clean once a week, and I never have a smell issue. I like that it's not dusty either. I originally started using it because my allergies were bothering me with the aspen, but it turns out my rats stopped itching as well.
Icesha

Back to top Go down

Post by thedjidentity on November 22nd 2009, 6:05 am

Be careful on carefresh bedding. It does great, but it can go bad as wel and be harmful to you or your pet. I worked at a petstore for a while part time, and we sold a lot of it. One day a woman brought back a bag and complained that her animals were sick, and that she was getting a rash from it.
I examined the bag and got a second opinion from a coworker. The material was flaky and brittle... almost like it was dried up! We found about 3 more bags of it with the same issue and noticed the color was darker in the brown (natural color).
So just make sure yours its still fluffy and feels right. If not, bring it back and exchange it. We didnt have any problems after that delivery, so maybe it was just a bad batch production.
Hope this helps!
thedjidentity

Back to top Go down

Post by MariaDavis on December 9th 2009, 2:44 am

When preparing your pet's cage, I suggest that you line it with either an old towel or rag or some newspaper. When it is time to change the bedding, having this lining will allow you to lift up the waste and remove it all in one shot. Next you will need your commercial bedding as well as shredded paper. I use junk mail or old computer printouts that I no longer need and run them through my shredder. You can also use newspaper or magazine pages. If you do not have a shredder, you can tear the paper into long, thin strips or use a pair of scissors to do the same.
MariaDavis

http://www.smartsuits.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum